Friday, October 19, 2012

Gunner's First Week

Here's a look at Gunner's first week via phone pics.
I had a doctor's appointment Tuesday, October 9th.  Dr. Lalonde stripped my membranes and John Wayne and I had previously talked about killing some time in the city by going to dinner and a movie to see if anything happened, but after my appointment I told John Wayne that I just wanted to head home, nothing was going to happen that night.
I felt pretty rough when we got home, but figured it was just from Dr. Lalonde stripping my membranes.  I fell asleep for an hour or so on the couch, but then started to question if these were contractions that I was having and not just feeling rough from the membrane stripping.  I began to pay closer attention to things and at 12:45AM, we headed back to the hospital. 
When we arrived at the hospital {a little more than an hour and fifteen minutes later, at trip that usually takes almost two hours}, my contractions were around two minutes apart and getting very strong.  They admitted me, got me my epidural and Dr. Lalonde broke my water.  {I am so glad that Dr. Lalonde was on call and there for Gunner's delivery.}  I then had an hour and a half or so of "down time" where we tried to get a little rest and then after less than a half hour or so of pushing, Gunner arrived at 6:26 Wednesday morning.  I had another pleasantly easy labor!
The little man gave us a huge scare when he decided not to breathe right away.  They called "code" and within 30 seconds our room was filled with a NICU team of eight doctors and nurses.  They quickly got him going, even though it felt like a lifetime.  The doctors reassured us that babies "just sometimes do that" and that he was totally fine.
John Wayne went to the nursery with the little man while the nurses got me ready to move to our room. 
That day we got to introduce Gunner to quite a few of our friends and family that stopped by.  Our first day was great {with the exception of the valet parking attendant giving our Suburban a nice big scratch down the side}!

Thursday, we were anxious to get out of that place and take Gunner home to Wild Horse, America. 

Friday, we had to go back to the big city for Gunner's first pediatrician appointment.  It went well, except that his bilirubin count was increasing.  We had dealt with jaundice with the Little Lady and I had a good feeling that we'd get to deal with it again.
Saturday, we spent most of the day hanging out at Grandpa and Grandma's house. 
The Rams played and so Gunner got to sport his CSU jersey for the first time.
His big sis made sure that he got plenty of love and kisses!

We had to make a trip to the hospital in Hugo on both Saturday and Sunday morning to have a bilirubin count done. Saturday, late afternoon, it was decided that we needed to started Gunner on phototherapy treatment.  You can see the glow of the bili-blanket behind him in the picture below.
Monday, we headed back to the big city for another appointment at the pediatrician.  Little man's count had increased even more.
Due to our distance from doctors and the hospital, they would not let us get a bili-bed and do the treatment at home.  Late Monday afternoon, Gunner was readmitted to the hospital for phototherapy treatment.  At first we were crushed, but with the high powered treatment available at the hospital, Gunner's count was way down by the next morning and we were able to head home by noon.
After such a crazy first week of being on the road either to Colorado Springs {100 miles one way} for a doctor's appointment or Hugo {40 miles one way} for a blood draw, we were thrilled to finally get to spend our first full day at home on Wednesday.
Here's the little man all bundled up after his bath...just relaxing at home with the family...such a great feeling!
Welcome home Little Buckaroo!

life rearranged


Kelly said...

You guys had a busy first two weeks!! Glad everyone is home and settling in :)

Melodee said...

oh he is just so cute!!!! what fun!!!

Nicole said...

Very sweet! Glad you're home!

Rachel said...

He is just too precious, love how he holds his hands up by his head!! :) He and his big sister are SO cute together!!

Glad everything is okay, and y'all are all home now!!

Penny Pfeiff said...

What a cutey. home is always such a good thing!

Amanda said...

Awe!!! Congratulations!! :) He's SO precious!!! My second baby girl had to wear the photo therapy blanket, we called her our little glow worm :) Glad your baby boy is doing well!! Stopping by from Insta-Friday, have a blessed day!

Jennifer said...

That darn jaundice! Miss P had it a little bit!
Such a cutie he is, love all that hair!