Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Ranch Wives Cooking Club {Special Cookie Exchange Edition} - Salted Caramel Cookies

Hello friends! Today I am linking up with Melissa over at The Larson Lingo for her 2nd Annual Cookie Recipe Exchange. In year's past I have gone crazy in the holiday baking department. Even with giving gobs of it away to friends and family, we still always had tons left over, so this year I've vowed that I'm not going to do as much, but this recipe is for sure making the cut!

I'm sharing a recipe that is relatively new in my life, but I love it and I've gotten rave reviews on the cookies with everyone that I've shared them with...Salted Caramel Cookies. I made these cookies for the first time just a couple of weeks ago to go in the Black Friday Survival Kits that I made for the ladies in my family. They loved.these.cookies!

I first started seeing recipes for Salted Caramel Cookies {or some version of them} on Pinterest. I did pin a recipe, but when I finally made them, I made my own version.


I started with my tried and true Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe {seriously, this is not just your plain ol' cookie recipe, something about it is special} and made a few tweaks.

Here's what you'll need:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (plus more to sprinkle on the top)
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup Kraft caramel bits
1 cup crushed pretzels

Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugars, beating well. Add eggs and vanilla, beating well.

Combine flour, soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating well. Stir in chocolate chips, caramel bits and crushed pretzels.

Drop by tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheet, sprinkle with salt.

Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. Cool slightly on baking sheet; remove to wire racks to cool completely.


These cookies have just the right balance of sweet and salty goodness. I hope that you enjoy them as much as I do!


Happy Baking and Merry Christmas!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

These sound awesome! And I am envying your pretty mixer! Ha! Found you at the cookie exchange :)

Jennifer said...

I can't wait to make these. How many dozen do you end up with?

Emily said...

Oh goodness...I don't remember for sure, probably 4 dozen or so :)

mel @ the larson lingo said...

I am so intrigued by this recipe! I love salty/sweet things. And, crushed pretzels in the cookies? I MUST try these! Thanks for linking up!

Anonymous said...

Wow, these sound right up my alley. And very easy to make they seem. Found your blog through the cookie exchange and have loved reading your past posts. Happy Baking!

Maria @ The Honest Kitchen

Genn said...

Fun link up, so many fun recipes to save!!! Yours look so good.

ANd yes, dirty hair = awesomeness!!! ;)

amy said...

These sound like salty and sweet goodness. I'm all for trying this one!!