Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I love my job...

I am one of those people who truly loves my job. It combines something I'm passionate about: agriculture, with something I'm good at: communications.

As a student at CSU I didn't really know what my major should be, I was one of those who test drove a few. My ag roots drew me towards the College of Ag, but I didn't want to spend my days crunching numbers (and trust me, no bank would want me crunching numbers for them, just ask John Wayne, I can barely balance my own checkbook); so an Ag Business major was out. I tried my hand at Animal Science for awhile. Well, along came the D in chemistry and I decided maybe I wasn't only challenged in mathematics, but apparently also science. Finally, a light bulb came on...I could do something for this industry that I love using my talent in communications, I didn't have to make loans or figure feed rations.

So I entered the College of Liberal Arts (yes, the one that all of the hippies are in) and declared my major Technical Journalism with a concentration in Public Relations. I immediately felt at home (there aren't too many hippies working towards a career in PR), enjoyed my classes and got A's! This was a much better fit than the chemistry class that by the end of the semester I was only attending on test days, and only then to create the prettiest pattern I could with dots on my scantron and hoping for a passing grade. (FYI, a D is a passing grade!)

Armed with my degree in PR and "life experience" in agriculture, I headed out to find my dream job. Well, it took a few years, but almost three years ago I landed it!

One of the perks of my job is getting out of the office to attend various industry conventions and meetings. Last week was a busy one, four days on the road.

Last Thursday I got to help man the Farm Credit booth at the NCBA National Convention in Denver. This was a BIG trade show and so much fun!


Friday I made my way north to my alma mater. Two of my co-workers and I were guest speakers in an Ag Business class. This was a lot of fun, and I must admit, made me feel like a pretty big deal! :) While I'm sure not one of these college seniors thought I was a big deal, we managed not to put any of them to sleep.


I do love my job and now would be the appropriate time to thank my Mom and Dad for taking care of the Little Lady each day while I go to my job. Thanks Mom and Dad, couldn't do it without you!

1 comment:

Penny Pfeiff said...

All of you CSU alum are kinda big deals;)

Sounds like a good fit...communications!!