Monday, January 23, 2012

Ranch Wives Cooking Club - {Cheater} Donuts

I had a few requests from my blog friends over at InstaFriday to share my donut recipe. I feel kinda silly even calling it a recipe, because it could not be any simpler!

All you'll need is:
a can of refrigerated canned biscuits {The first time I made them I used the Grands, but then thanks to a tip from my cousin, I now use the cheap, generic ones, they fry up much better!}
oil to fry them in {I just use vegetable oil}
butter {1/2 stick}
cinnamon
sugar


Cut holes out of the biscuits. A plastic water bottle or soda bottle cap is perfect for the job.


My recipe is so nontechnical here that I don't even know for sure how much oil I use, just enough to be about a half inch deep...or what temperature I heat the oil to. This is where a candy thermometer would come in handy {but I wouldn't know what temperature to tell you to heat the oil to, but I'm sure a simple Google search would answer that}. I heat mine over medium heat and maybe even a tad under.


When your oil is ready {I do the simple splash of water, wait for sizzle, test} it's time to fry the donuts {I do five at a time, I think it's easier to keep an eye on them} for around 90 seconds on each side. You just have to keep an eye on them and turn them when they are golden.


Then do the donut holes.


After removing them from the oil, place on a plate with a couple of paper towels.


Then dip both sides in melted butter and place in the cinnamon and sugar mixture, coating both sides. {You can also make different frostings and glazes, but my family's preference is cinnamon/sugar.}


And enjoy!


This is such a simple weekend morning treat. The only trick is not getting your oil too hot, and using the cheap biscuits, they are thinner and cook all the way through quicker, other wise you risk having raw centers.

1 comment:

Melodee said...

oh my gosh! I love it, you were right, so easy! going to make these with the kids soon, thanks for posting the recipe:))